2011-08-31 Identification system for bicycles in IISc.
It is estimated that there are around 1200 -1400 bicycles currently on campus. A significant number of these bicycles lie unused in the parking lots, rusting. They also occupy parking space, causing discomfort to students. Students' Council (SC) organizes bicycle drive each year to identify these unused bicycles and put them to use. Presently, the identification of an unused bicycle is made on visual clues, like the dust accumulation on bicycle. This has led to some issues in the past, with bicycles of current students being locked up because they looked dusty and unused.
We wish to avoid such problems from now on and set up a system that will avoid any inconvenience to students in the future. For this, SC along with Security Section is planning to introduce a system of fixing numbered stickers to students' bicycles, just like the stickers issued for cars and motor-cycles. This sticker will be fixed to the bicycle at a prominently visible location, and will carry a number on it that will establish the ownership of the bicycle and indicate the details of the owner.
How to register your bicycle?
- We will set up registration stalls at hostel/mess parking lots during mess timings.
- All you need to do is to give us a few details like your Name, Department, Course, Bicycle make and model, Frame number etc.
- We will record these details and fix a numbered sticker to your bicycle.
What are the benefits to you?
- Establishes ownership of bicycle to Security Section when needed.
- Prevents any inconvenience of your bicycle being locked up by SC for not being used temporarily. (Especially when you are away from campus for long periods of time.)
- Gives you parking privileges in the hostel zone.
What are the benefits to the students community?
- Will free up parking lots by enabling easier identification of unused bicycles.
- These bicycles can be quickly put to re-use, saving commuting time for students.
- Will enhance security and minimize bicycle theft. Security section can regulate movement of bicycles in & out of campus, and also verify ownership in case of suspicion.
We will keep you informed of the time lines and the schedule of this program. Your feedback is welcome to make this plan work better. Please direct your feedback & queries to