Welcome to SBCI

To meet a long felt need of scientists working in the new emerging discipline of biological chemistry " The Society Of Biological Chemists (India)" was founded in 1930, with its Head Quarters at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. It was registered under the Societies Act in the then Princely State of Mysore and the memorandum of registration was signed by the late Profs V Subramanian, V Pattawardhan and C V Natarajan, leading figures in the Scientific areas at that time. The Society played a crucial role during the Second World War period by advising the Government on the utilization of indigenous biomaterials as food substitutes, drugs and tonics, on the industrial and agricultural waste utilization and on management of water resources. The other areas of vital interest to the Society in the early years were nutrition, proteins, enzymes, applied microbiology, preventive medicines and the development of high quality proteins from indigenous plant sources.